Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Linda: Metaphysical Lecture, Tuesday PM, April 28

Metaphysical Lecture,
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Vajrasvattva Meditation

This is a series of lectures on a particular Buddhist practice and meditation and is tantric in nature. It is a highly metaphysical and symbolic teaching and includes recitations and visualizations. Below are some of the explanations of the recitations, though the symbols and visualizations are not reproduced. The entire text follows, and I will take notes on the exposition of the lines over the next four days.

Taking Refuge
I take refuge in the Buddha, dharma, and the Sangha most excellent.
I take refuge until Enlightenment is reached.
By the collection of generosity and the other virtues,
May I attain Enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Activating the Awakening Mind (The Four Immeasurables)
May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness;
May all beings be free of sorrow and the causes of sorrow;
May all beings never be separated from that sacred joy which is free from sorrow;
May all beings rest in equanimity, free from attachment and hatred.

(This is a slightly different translation, but the Four Immeasurables were already explained in Excerpts.)

Vajrasvattva Meditation and Recitation
AH! In my ordinary from above my head
Is a white lotus with a lunar seat in its fold.
From a HUNG above this arises the lama as vajrasattva,
White, transluscent, the perfect body of complete Enjoyment
Holding a vajra and bell embracing his consort.

I request our protection: purify my negativities.
With intense regret I confess and acknowledge
Even at the cost of my life I shall abstain.
Upon the full moon in your heart
Is the letter HUNG encircled by the mantra.
By working with the recitation of mantras
From the point of union of the deities’ blissful play
Flows nectar-clouds of bodhichitta.
Falling like fine particles of camphor.

Of myself and all beings throught the three realms
Our karma and conflictin emotions, the causes of suffering,
Illness, harmful spirits, negativities, obscurations, and transgressions.
I implire you to purify them utterly.

The Hundred Syllable Mantra
Om embodies that which is most praiseworthy
The commitment of Vajrasattva
Protect me with your care
O Vajrasattva
Stabilize your presence within me
Please bring me complete satisfaction
Please ensure my complete development
Please have passionate concern for me.
Grant me all spiritual attainments.
Ensure for me the accomplishment of all activities.
Please make my mind virtuous.
HUNG (the life force of the enlightened mind)
HA HA HA HA HOH (indicates the 4 Immeasurable attitudes, the 4 empowerments, the
4 degrees of joy, and the 4 kayas and the laughter of delight in these.)

Transcendent and accomplished conquerors all those gone to suchness
O Vajra, do not abandon me.
I pray; endow me with vajra nature Great embodiment of commitment
Signifies merging in nondual union.
O protector, through my lack of knowledge and ignorance
I have transgressed and weakened the sacred pledges
O Lama, Protector, give me refuge
Lord Vajradhara, holder of the adamantine scepter
Whose very nature is great compassion.
The lord of beings, to you I go for refuge.
I confess and acknowledge all
Transgressions of the root and branch commitments done
Physically, verbally, and mentally. Please purify and cleanse away all stains of
Wrongdoing, emotional obscuration, errors, and downfalls.

Om Vajra Sattva Hung
Through the virtue of doing this practice
May I achieve Vajrasattva’s great realization
And to this same state may I lead
All beings without exception.

No comments: