Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Arjuna's Penance

Srorry I got behind in my posting! This happened a few days ago.
I went exploring the other day a place called Arjuna's Penance. It is where Arjuna prayed to get divine help. It was a bit strange to be in what I think of as a place of mythology. Intellectually, I suppose, I knew that the Mahabharata really was supposed to have happened, but it was so far removed from me, and from my culture, that it seemed like just a really good story. Anyway, Arjuna's Penance is really nice. You can get away from the city (the bane of my existence is the inescapable noise) and just walk around in nature. There are lots of goats, and I saw 18 monkeys!
When I was on Arjuna’s Penance, happily exploring, I accidentally tripped on the low hem of my sari. And all the pleats instantly fell out. Fortunately I caught them and hurriedly stuffed them back into the waistband before glancing around to see if anyone had noticed my moment of clumsiness. A couple some distance from me were laughing, but I do not know if at me or at some personal joke. Ah well. I hunted around for a secluded spot n which to fix my sari properly, because the result of my hurried stuffing was a distinctly poofy sari. After I found one and fixed the sari to my satisfaction, I continued on my way. Apparently I had done a good job fixing my sari because a girl about my age introduced herself and complimented me on it. This was a huge relief. You would think I had learned my lesson, but no. Once off the hill, I noticed that part of my sari was trailing after me. I must have stepped on it again. I was in a much more crowded are at this point, so I quickly sat down on a step, both to hide my faulty clothing and to think what to do next. A kind tour-guide had already noticed me, however, and pointed out where the bathrooms were. I thanked him and was gathering my courage to cross the lawn full of people with my clothes trailing after me when a woman walked up and offered her assistance. She led me into a temple where we hid in a corner behind a pillar. I was safe on three sides. She expertly retied my sari without exposing an inch of skin that wouldn’t otherwise be exposed. I was very grateful, but the experience has put me off saris for a while.

No comments: