Thursday, January 8, 2009

Arjuna's Penance

Sorry, I got behind in my posting. This happened a while ago, but here it is.
When we were in Mamallapuram, I decided to go exploring on Arjuna's Penance. I was on Arjuna’s Penance, happily exploring, I accidentily tripped on the low hem of my sari. And all the pleats instantly fell out. Fortunately I caught them and hurridly stuffed them back into the waistband before glancing around to see if anyone had noticed my moment of clumsiness. A couple some distance from me were laughing, but I do not know if at me or at some personal joke. Ah well. I hunted around for a secluded spot n which to fix my sari properly, because the result of my hurried stuffing was a distinctly poofy sari. After I found one and fixed the sari to my satisfaction, I continued on my way. Apparently I had done a good job fixing my sari because a girl about my age introduced herself and complimented me on it. This was a huge relief. You would think I had learned my lesson, but no. Once off the hill, I noticed that part of my sari was trailing after me. I must have stepped on it again. I was in a much more crowded are at this point, so I quickly sat down on a step, both to hide my faulty clothing and to think what to do next. A kind tour-guide had already noticed me, however, and pointed out where the bathrooms were. I thanked him and was gathering my courage to cross the lawn full of people with my clothes trailing after me when a woman walked up and offered her assistance. She led me into a temple where we hid in a corner behind a pillar. I was safe on three sides. She expertly retied my sari without exposing an inch of skin that wouldn’t otherwise be exposed. I was very grateful, but the experience has put me off saris for a while.

No comments: