Saturday, January 24, 2009

1-19-09

Today is a rest day for all of us, except Patrick who is getting in some work. Mom and I went to a tailor to get sari blouses made, so we fit in more, but they were closed because Mondays are holidays in this part of Kerela. However, they said that one tailor was still open and gave us directions. So we walked to the new place, got measured, and the head tailor said we could return at 5:00. I am very excited about getting my very own sari blouse. None of Mom’s fit me. We saw an internet café, so we decided to spend an hour there, reading emails and checking up on things at home. I was feeling homesick, so I looked at a bunch of photos of Matteo, Sofia, and Zachu, some children I babysit. This only made it worse – much worse. By the time we left the café (we actually got locked in for awhile) I was a wreck. I had no idea I would miss them so much! I definitely miss them more than anyone else back home. (Sorry, no offense to anyone) I think it is because, in every other relationship I have, I am on equal footing with the other person or they are in a more maternal/paternal position, but with these three, I am the caretaker. I have also known each one of them since they were born and have watched them grow and change since that time. I was surprised to realize how completely I love them. I don’t suppose I can explain this to anyone who hasn’t already felt something similar. All I can say is that, although I already knew before this that I loved them, this was the point of no return, and I will feel the same way about them till the day I die.
I have now, officially, decided to go to IU instead of Notre Dame!! You can blame it on the three children mentioned above. (Among other things)
Mom wanted to get a sari ironed before lunch, so we stopped by a roadside ironing stall. The iron was old-fashioned (as in, not electric), but it was not heated on a stove like the typical old European iron. The inside was hollow and coals were placed inside. Mom and I decided that this is a better way of doing things. I is more efficient, the heating is more even, and no ash gets on the clothes. These irons also work better than electric irons, although they’re probably harder to use. But they certainly straitened out crinkles much more quickly.
After we ate lunch, Mom and I went to a spice plantation. Mom stole my journal to take notes, but I suppose that’s alright. She thoroughly enjoyed herself. Being the herbalist, Mom understood and absorbed much more than I did. But I do remember that the Pepper is called the King of spices and that the three types of pepper – green, white, and black – come from the same plant, but are prepared differently. Green pepper is pickled in brine, white pepper is soaked in water and has the husk removed before being dried in the sun, and black pepper is simply dried in the sun after it is picked. Cardamom is the Queen of spices and vanilla is the Prince, but there is no Princess. I also discovered a new plant to devour. It is called Stevia and its leaves are as sweet as sugar. It’s delicious.

No comments: